02 December 2009

The Wines at Christian’s Bistro: Whites Part 1 Elbling by Margarethenhof Weingut Weber

This wine is characterized by mellow tones of fruit and honey. It is light, crisp, and refreshing. The Elbling grape is actually the ancestor of the Riesling grape, and as a result, this wine has some of the same characteristics as Riesling. Its body is fuller than most Rieslings I’ve had, and the syrupy sweetness that overpowers some Rieslings I’ve tried.

I haven’t been able to find this wine anywhere but Christian’s Bistro. During my search, I learned that Christian’s likes to have exclusive access to its wines. I searched the wine by name online, and it is only found on a German-language site I could not translate. The varietal has also proven elusive. Few wine merchants, even highly knowledgeable merchants like those at McKnight & Carlson Wines & More, are familiar with it. Therefore, I am still searching for a bottle of this delightful wine.

02/20/10 Update: I've found this wine at Festival Foods of Oshkosh, next to the Rieslings in the German wines section. It costs around $10 a bottle.

2 comments:

Kirdy said...

THANK YOU! We fell in love with this wine at Christian's and have been searching everywhere. Calling Festival Foods this morning to see if they still carry it.

Kirdy said...

Darn. Just called. They no longer carry it. The search continues....